Who didn’t love the story of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?” The chocolate waterfall. The fudgemellow bar. The golden tickets. While a visit to Charlie’s chocolate factory may only be a fantasy for chocolate-loving foodies everywhere, the Oregon Chocolate Festival is very real, indeed.
And like the entry into the chocolate factory will be required to be the carrier of a golden pass of sorts. However, these passes aren’t elusive like the magic tickets in the chocolate factory. This is great news for chocoholics!
Notable Events at the Oregon Chocolate Festival
Here’s a look at what a visit to the Oregon Chocolate Festival will include.
- The Friday Night Social Hour: Starts at 7:00 p.m. at the Ashland Suites
- The Chocolate Maker’s Wine Dinner, going from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.: Dinner features crispy fried Dungeness crab fritters; cocoa nib cider braised pork belly Tartine; smoked coffee-rubbed brisket; and plenty of delicious chocolate offerings and lots of wine!
- A chocolate brunch on Sunday. Goodies include Tillamook cheddar baked polenta, poached eggs, wilted spinach, lemon hollandaise, an assortment of breads, and of course, a chocolate dessert or two
- Chocolate talks and workshops that include a look at chocolate history, chocolate recipes to make, and a tasting tour of chocolates from around the world.
- A chocolate dessert contest
- And much more
Other Cool Happenings
Chances are that you’ll feel guilty for indulging in that much chocolate, beer, and wine. Never fear. There is a built-in solution to this dilemma. The festival features a 1-mile/ 5K/ 10k run/ walk.
The Charlie’s Chocolate Run/ Walk is held on Sunday, March 10, starting at 9:00 a.m. All participants get prizes of the chocolate sort.
And for those who can’t resist a little cosplay, participants are encouraged to come dressed as their favorite “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” character. So put on your top hat or paint your face orange and come out and run.
Places to Stay
The chocolate festival counts as one of Ashland’s more popular events. As such, it is best to find accommodations as soon as you can.
The following inns/ hotels/ motels have chocolate festival packages:
Each place offers plenty of good food, activity packages, and comfy places to land for the evening. You can find out how to get the golden tickets you need to get into the door.
A visit to the Oregon Chocolate Festival is a great excuse to visit Ashland in the early part of the year. You already know it as the place to go in Oregon for Shakespeare. Now, you know it’s a great place to go if you’re a chocolate-loving foodie, too!
If you have any questions about the festival, feel free to contact me for more information!